Books in August


August has been a much more successful reading month than July. Although I didn't love them all, they didn't feel like a chore to get through. I have also been slowly making my way through the first Game of Thrones book (I have read it before but it was such a long time ago that I felt I needed to read it again before I dived into the second book). I have also put Fire and Blood on my Christmas book list because I hate the thought of having to wait until 2026 to find out what happens next in House of the Dragon (we're all Team Black, right?) So here is what I read this month:


The Road by Cormac McCarthy | I had high hopes for this book but I just don't get the hype? I love an end-of-the-world, dystopian novel but there was just not enough going on in this book. The story follows a man and his child who are trying to navigate a world in which almost everything has been destroyed. That's essentially the whole story. This quote: "If you break little promises you'll break big ones" was the only thing I remembered when I finished the book.


A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas | I was unsure about this book when I first started it but it got better as it went along. I will have to read the rest of the series now that I have started it and I'm hoping I get more into as I work my way through them. 


Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer | This one has got to be the most irritating one of the series so far. Edward's possessive personality is so inappropriate and it often made my physically cringe. He is so much worse in the books than they portrayed him in the films. One book left in the series now though so nearly at the end... phew.


Sidesplitter by Phil Wang | I love a good memoir and although I don't read comedian's memoirs exclusively, they do make up a big proportion of the ones I do read. This was my favourite read of the month. It had me laughing from the get go. I love Phil Wang's style of comedy so much and his humour came across so clearly in his writing. He has such a refreshing outlook on culture and belonging and it was often as insightful as it was funny.


I am away for a couple of weeks in September so I'm not sure how much reading I will get done. My plan is to get through a couple of books on my kindle that have been on there for literally years. I'm guessing it will probably be a slower reading month though!


What have you read recently that you've loved?

No comments