Books in July



July seems to have been a bit of a slow month for reading. It probably didn't help, however, that I was reading multiple books side by side and kept getting distracted by important things such as the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader documentary on Netflix (has anyone else watched this yet?) It also didn't help that I wasn't overly into the books I chose to read so they were a bit of a chore to get through. There was only one I really enjoyed!


The Midnight Feast by Lucy Foley | I have read a couple of Lucy Foley's books before (The Paris Apartment, The Guest List... I also have The Hunting Party on my bookshelf). That being said, I always find her books just 'ok'. I always find the premise of her books really appealing but they are just never quite as good as I hope they will be. The Midnight Feast was no different. This novel is set during the opening weekend of a new resort which was once the grounds for an unfortunate incident 15 years prior. I struggled with this one because I didn't like any of the characters and it's really hard to care about what happens to them when they are so unlikeable. The chapters were short so it wasn't overly taxing but I think I can say with some confidence that I'm not a huge fan of Lucy Foley.


Mrs England by Stacey Halls | This is the second Stacey Halls book I have read and I loved it as much as the first. The good news is that I already have The Foundling on my shelf waiting to be read next and I can't wait! Mrs England is about a children's nurse in 1904 who goes to work for a family in West Yorkshire and uncovers all sorts of secrets about them as well as confronting some difficult situations from her own past. I love a good piece of historical fiction and Stacey Halls hasn't let me down yet. 


Lock in by John Scalzi | This is about a virus which causes some of the population to 'lock in' i.e maintain their awareness but be unable to move. It's got a few hints of a crime/thriller novel as the main characters begin to solve a murder which, on the surface, makes no sense. I have had this on my kindle just about since it was released 10 years ago. I love a bit of sci-fi but this just seemed to miss the mark. Again, I didn't really care for the characters. I don't think all of the technical jargon was never well explained so I had to re-read parts and in the end I just thought 'well if I don't understand it now, I never will'. It got more enjoyable towards the end but it took me a while to get through because I wasn't crazy about it.


In August I am planning to read The Road by Cormac McCarthy (my brother and I both unknowingly asked for this book for Christmas and decided we would read it at the same time). I also want to read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and A Court of Thrones and Roses by Sarah J. Maas (although I'm unsure how this one will go down, despite the rave reviews!) So hopefully a better month of reading next!

No comments